Désolé, cet article est seulement disponible en Anglais.
Suhaili 50 Falmouth Parade of Sail – June 11 – 14
Arrival of the 2018 Golden Globe Race fleet at Falmouth Haven Marina followed by Sir Robin Knox-Johnston and Suhaili escorted by a flotilla of yachts representing the Cruising Association
12 – 13th June:
Falmouth Haven (adjacent to Custom House Quay) open to the public to view the historic fleet each day from 11.00am – 20:00pm. There will also be a small marquee with historic images illustrating Sir Robin’s achievements 50 years ago.
- Arrival of Gipsy Moth IV
- 2018 Golden Globe Race skipper safety at sea conference
19:00: St Mawes Sailing Club Golden Globe Race cocktail party for skippers, event organisers, friends and families. Suhaili, Gipsy Moth IV and Lively Lady will be moored just off the St Mawes harbour wall. This is a ticketed invite-only event.
- Midday – 2018 Golden Globe Race Press Conference and public presentation of skippers.
- 14:00pm – Book Launch and signing: Sir Robin Knox-Johnston on Seamanship & Seafaring at The Falmouth Bookseller, Church Street.
- 16:00-17.00pm – Illustrated talk at The Poly with Barry Pickthall – former Sunday Times & Times yachting correspondent, Chris Eakin, author of the book ‘A Race Too Far’ and Bill Rowntree, the former Sunday Mirror photographer who was assigned to cover Robin Knox-Johnston’s start and historic return to Falmouth 50 years ago. They will be recalling the highs and lows of Sir Robin Knox-Johnston’s incredible voyage and triumphant return to Falmouth. A must-attend event! Tickets details available very soon.
- 18.00pm till late – Suhaili Evening at The Chain Locker Pub with Sir Robin Knox-Johnston in attendance early and later into the evening
- 19:30pm – Sir Robin Knox-Johnston pre-Parade dinner at The Royal Cornwall Yacht Club. This is a ticketed event.
- 22:00pm – Firework display over Falmouth’s harbour and bay, illuminating many of the town’s award-winning attractions including the historic waterfront and Pendennis Castle.
- 10:00am: Suhaili 50 Falmouth Parade of Sail. Suhaili leads the historic yachts, the 2018 Golden Globe Race Fleet and a flotilla of supporting boats on a celebratory tour of Falmouth harbour, starting from Custom House Quay and taking in St Mawes and Pendennis Point and Castle.
- 13:30pm: Start of the SITRaN Charity Race from Pendennis Point to Les Sables d’Olonne, France, the first stage of the 50th anniversary Golden Globe Race which will commence from the French port on Sunday July 1st.
GGR Programme in Les Sables d’Olonne June 16 – July 1st
The GGR Race Village will open each day from 10:00am to 8:00pm and until 02:00 on Fridays and Saturdays.
Visitors will find the GGR yachts and skippers on the Vendée Globe pontoons, and admire the historic solo yachts – Sir Robin Knox-Johnston’s Suhaili, Bernard Moitessier’s Joshua and Sir Francis Chichester’s Gipsy Moth IV, together with Eric Tabarly’s Pen Duick III and Pen Duick VI. There is something for all ages: Learn to navigate with the stars and instruments of the past, attend conferences, interviews and demonstrations, participate in workshops and boat baptisms, and the conviviality of the Bar Guinguette during evening concerts.
The Race Village is open to the public from June 16 to 30, and is free of charge. Activities are planned each day and entertainment specifically for children will take place on:
- Wednesdays 10:00 to 12:00 and 15:00 to 17:00
- Saturday 10:00 to 12:00 and 14:30 to 17:30
- Sundays 16:00 to 17:00
Full list of events and times
There is something for all ages: Learn to navigate with the stars and instruments of the past, attend conferences, interviews and demonstrations, participate in workshops and boat baptisms, and the conviviality of the Bar Guinguette during evening concerts
On the stage between 12:05 and 17:30 each day, a series of presentations are planned, including interviews with skipper and other key sailing personalities.
Visitors will discover the GGR yachts and skippers on the Vendée Globe pontoons, and admire the historic solo yachts – Sir Robin Knox-Johnston’s Suhaili, Bernard Moitessier’s Joshua and Sir Francis Chichester’s Gipsy Moth IV, together with Eric Tabarly’s Pen Duick III.
Diary of events
- June 16 at 9:30 am: official opening of the GGR Village followed at 12:00 by the broadcast of the France-Australia World Cup match and sea shanties performed by the Olonnais at 15:00
- 17 June at 16:00: official presentation of the GGR skippers
- 18 June late afternoon: arrival of Sir Robin Knox-Johnston and his yacht Suhaili escorted by a flotilla of yachts representing the Cruising Association
- 21 June at 17:00: broadcast of the France-Peru World Cup match followed at 21:00 with live music performed by the Léonie group.
- June 22 at 21:00 pm: concert with Jean-Luc Van Den Heede and his Globally Yours group
- June 23rd at 16:00 – 18:00: skippers parade along the harbour channel followed by a Fireworks display at 23:00
- June 25th from 17:30: Arrival of Eric Tabarly’s Pen Duick III and Pen Duick VI yachts
- 26 June: Pen Duick III and Pen Duick VI yachts open to the public. 16:00: France-Denmark World Cup match broadcast live
- June 27 at 16:00 pm: children’s show ‘Joshua and the Sea of Stories’